#5 Five Ways To Unwind
Welcome to the fifth post in the September Is A Weird Month Blog Series. Life is stressful...it just is. Weather you work at a high stress job, or you are a stay at home mom stress is there, and sometimes all you want to do is lock yourself in the bathroom with some scented candles, and a book or your ipod and relax. However, there are also those days that you are torn between tackling your to-do list, and being that productive person we all know you can be. Here are some ways to help you unwind after a long stressful day, or when you decide that your to-do list can wait.
1. Drink something warm. Put on those comfy clothes that you would never want anyone seeing you in, and veg on the couch with a warm drink. Maybe you love tea, or maybe you like hot chocolate (one of our favorites), or maybe you are a bit more adventurous, and like spiking some warm apple cider with your alcoholic drink of choice. Either way being relaxed is a state of mind, and any type of warm drink, and comfy clothes can help get you there!
2. Focus on what you HAVE done! Life isn't always about what you haven't been able to get done. Take some time to give yourself and your to-do list a huge pat on the back for the things that you have been able to accomplish in this day, week, month, and year. Maybe even consider taking stock in your planner or talking about it with your significant other over a nice dinner or a coffee date. You are awesome, and it is time to start realizing that!
3. Make it a YOU day. We know you may feel guilty, but there is really no reason to feel guilty about keeping your temple (body/mind) healthy. Sometimes you just need a day for you. So send the kids off to their grandparents/playdate/other parent, or take a mental health day from work and plan something for yourself weather it be a day at the spa, hanging with your girlfriends/guyfriends, locking yourself in your bedroom lighting candles and having some wine, shopping, or doing something else that you enjoy.
4. Try using adult coloring books. These are all the latest craze (in the planning, and journaling world at least). You can find these at most of your local craft stores, or even local book stores. Coloring has been proven to relieve stress. I used to do this in college to relax. It may seem childish, but it is scientifically proven to help reduce stress, you will most likely create something beautiful, and your brain will thank you.
5. If you still find that you don't have the time to relax, but you need an extra recharge try writing down the things that have made you happy so far this week, or what you are grateful for. These little tidbits will be there so that you can go back, and re-read them or add to them anytime you like.. (You can even do this in a meeting on a notepad).
There you have it. Five things that you can do to unwind. Which one of these ideas do you take part in or would you like to start trying one? Let us know in the comments below!